This is straight from “70’s Big” and rings true to me.
– Perform large compound strength movements like squat, press, bench, deadlift, row, and pull-ups on a regular basis.
– Address mobility and muscular imbalance/weakness issues.
– Don’t do a stupid amount of volume and avoid most aesthetic-focused programs.
– Understand “met-con” or “high intensity conditioning” does not mean “consisting of retarded shit all the time.”
– Organize the training week to apply stress and give subsequent rest.
– First, specify to your needs, then your wants.